Buyer – Construction – GL9 post code (easily accessible and located very near to junction 18 of the M4) – Permanent – Package up to £35,000 per annum
The successful Buyer will haveknowledge of construction materials to work across live projects. The role will require an understanding and appreciation of the construction process and the ability to work closely with all departmental functions. The Buyer will be able to operate proactively as part of the team and with a high degree of initiative and independence.
Key Responsibilities of the Buyer - Construction
- Support the commercial team with procurement of materials and hire requirements across housing schemes.
- To collate all relevant information and send enquiries to supply chain.
- Analysis of returned quotations and identification of commercial opportunities to make recommendations for supply.
- Placing of accurate purchase orders to achieve budget and construction programme timescales including input of details on company procurement software package.
- Update of Procurement Schedules in liaison with Commercial Project Manager.
- Collation of cost information for inclusion within monthly project CVR reports.
- Attend and participate in site project meetings as required.
- Work with Accounts Department and suppliers to resolve invoice queries.
- Identify appropriate new suppliers for inclusion within the company supply chain.
- Hire / off-hire of plant and small tools for projects.
- Monitor and audit utilisation of hired items in conjunction with operational teams.
- Establishment of supplier terms and agreements for common high usage items.
- Keep up to date with new products, regulations and technology on the market.
- Work with the wider Group to identify common areas of opportunity with supply chain and including contribution to group agreements.
- Coordination and control of temporary labour placements with approved suppliers.
Key skills & Competencies required of the Buyer - Construction
- Knowledge of construction materials (for example, groundworks / super structure / internal joinery) including application, technical performance, storage, and delivery methods.
- Disciplined and well organised with the ability to work to own initiative and to deadlines in a fast-paced role.
- Understanding of the construction process particularly the residential sector.
- Ability to read, interpret and understand technical construction drawings.
- Have a commercial mind-set and an awareness of the wider implications of procurement decisions.
- Good communications skills as you will be working closely with suppliers, operational teams, other departments and external consultants.
- Construction or builders merchant background.
- Experience of working on multiple projects simultaneously would be desirable.
- Strong written & oral communication skills.
- High awareness of health and safety requirements within construction.
To apply, please send a copy of your up to date CV clearly indicating your relevant experience. Candidates must have an existing right to work in the UK and evidence of eligibility will be required. Suitable candidates will be contacted.